Winter driving ain’t easy. The brutal cold is rough on everything under a luxury car’s hood, but on top of that, the roads are constantly caked with snow, ice and salt. It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
All that said, there are steps you can take before and during your winter drives to ensure they go as smoothly as possible. And according to ohsa.gov, all it takes is a little alliteration: Prepare, Protect and Prevent: The three Ps.
- Car maintenance: Something we at Autobahn Automotive are well-versed in. It’s essential to have fresh oil, new wiper blades, a lively battery, great tires, no-freeze wiper fluid and a whole lot more. Stop in and we’ll give your luxury car some TLC for the winter ahead.
- Emergency kit: There are important supplies to pack in your car in case of a breakdown. Here’s a recommendation from Ready Wisconsin. Those folks know winters.
- Route planning: Give yourself plenty of time, know the right route to take and let people know when you leave and when you expect to arrive.
- Bonus P: Practice. If it’s newly icy or snowy, find an empty lot and do a little rehearsing. Get a feel for your car’s brakes and stopping distances. Plus, it’s kinda fun to do!
Protect and Prevent
- Buckle up: Goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway. When road conditions are iffy, it’s extra important for seat belts to be fastened and child seats to be properly buckled.
- Ease up: Increase driving distance between yourself and other cars on the road, drive under the posted speed limit and keep your eyes open for pedestrians. It’ll take you a little longer to stop for them.
Follow all these steps, and we dare say winter driving can be fun. As long as you’re not in a hurry to get somewhere, the leisurely pace of a snowy trip is nostalgic and lovely. Drive safe out there, and make some memories this season!